Arthur Heurtley Residence (1902) - Oak Park, Illinois
In 1902 Arthur Heurtley commissioned two works, a home half a block away from Wright's studio and cottage in northern Michigan. In this home Roman brick is laid so that, at a distance, it suggests board and batten. The plan is square, and living quarters are above ground in typical Prairie fashion. It has been remodeled into two apartments.
Charnley Summer Residence and Guesthouse (1890) - Ocean Springs, Mississippi
The main structure is a very large version of the neighboring Sullivan house and was preferred by Wright to the "Lieber Meister's" residence. Its T plan features bay windows of octagonal geometry, and the guesthouse (at the left in the picture) originally was a large octagon divided by a single wall into two rooms. The building was restored in the 1930s and later altered. The northeast porch has been considerably enlarged, both side porches enclosed, and the wood front steps replaced with brick. Otherwise, this structure is in remarkably good condition.
Edgar J. Kaufmann Residence "Fallingwater" (1935) - Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania
Aside from his own Taliesin Fellowship Complex, Wright had seen only two of his projects constructed over a period of almost eight years, from 1928 to 1935. Then, when the architect was sixty-nine, came Fallingwater, the Johnson Administration Building, and the Usonian home concept all in one year, and Wingspread a year later. Fallingwater is perhaps the best-known private home for someone not of royal blood in the history of the world. Perched over a waterfall deep in the Pennsylvania highlands, it seems part of the rock formations to which it clings. Reinforced-concrete cantilever slabs project from the rock band to carry the house over the stream. From the square living room, one can step directly down a suspended stairway to the stream. Immediately above, on the third level, terraces open from sleeping quarters, emphasizing the horizontal nature of the structural forms; "the apotheosis of the horizontal" it has been called and is one of the seventeen buildings designed by Wright that has been designated by the AIA tot be retained as an example of his architectural contribution to American culture. Three years separated design of the main house and the guesthouse. The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy conducts guided tours during most of the year, except the cold winter months.
Edward R. Hills Residence (1906) - Oak Park, Illinois
Heavily damaged by fire on January 3, 1976, reconstruction was begun immediately. The Hills house originally sat in what is now the backyard of the Nathan Moore dwelling. Though Wright remembered the project as dating to 1900, that is apparently six years too early. Moore had the house moved and remodeled in 1906 for his daughter Mary and her husband Edward. Broad overhangs and the banding of the stucco surface place this design in the context of 1906 Prairie styles.
Frank Lloyd Wright Residence (1889) - Oak Park, Illinois
The oldest extant house by Wright is surfaced with wood shingles. In the interior space the architect defines door tops with string courses rather than the more common architraves. Adjacent to the house is the shingles-and-brick studio, erected in 1898. Because Wright was his own client, his expression was not reserved; ornament became one with architecture, structure and design one with each other, and the whole and its parts could not be separated. The octagon, one of Wright's favorite geometrical forms during the earlier years, appears in the plan of the library. Eventually Wright moved to Taliesin. These structures were remodeled into apartments by Wright in 1911. Further remodeling, and some restoration, was undertaken by Clyde Nooker in 1956. The Frank Lloyd Wright Residence has been designated by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) as one of seventeen American buildings designed by this architect to be retained as an example of his architectural contribution to American culture. The Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio Foundation is in charge of preservation of these buildings and conducts tours of the premises.
Gregor Affleck Residence (1940) - Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Here the sun room and sleeping quarters rest on the ground while the living-dining space is cantilevered with the balcony a half-story lower. The cypress siding has weathered to a nice gray. An L, or F plan, the house is taken from the Broadacre City model of a "home for sloping ground." Wright designed a second home for Mr. Affleck, whom he knew as a boy when both lived in Spring Green, which was not built.
Hillside Home School I (1887) - Spring Green, Wisconsin
Wright's aunts, Nell and Jane Lloyd Jones, taught in this private school for many years. Eventually, a larger, more complex structure was erected in 1903, the Hillside Home School II.
Hillside Home School II (1901) - Spring Green, Wisconsin
Hillside (the school building proper is on the right in the picture) has gone through many transformations. The first building, the Hillside Home School I dating from 1887, was demolished in 1950. The second school was built in 1903 for Wright's aunts. With the formation of the Taliesin Fellowship in 1933, the school became a part of that complex. It has since undergone considerable remodeling and the left section (in the picture) dates from these more recent times. The interior is of H plan, and materials include native limestone, oak, and plaster. The remodeling of the building since 1933 is listed as part of separate project: Frank Lloyd Wright, Taliesin Fellowship Complex.
Larkin Company Administration Building (1903) - Buffalo, New York
The Larkin Company was a mail-order business. Among the firsts of the Larkin Building are use of air conditioning and plate glass. Also, the furniture was of metal. Wright entrusted the working drawings of the project to William Drummond, many of whose own designs were constructed near Wright works, often causing the casual viewer confusion about which is which. Larkin Company cofounder were John Larkin and Elbert Hubbard (one of whose sisters were Mrs. Larkin). All the Wright homeowners in Buffalo were involved with this enterprise in some manner.
Lindholm Service Sation (1956) - Cloquet, Minnesota
This is a cement-block structure, painted, with terne metal roof and cantilevered canopy. The design derives from the Broadacre City Standardized Overhead Service Station of 1932, except that ground-based fuel pumps are used instead of the overhead fuel lines as envisioned by Wright. This is the only service station constructed from Wright's designs. Its service waiting room (in center of picture) is over the attendants' area, while mechanics' working areas are on ground level.
Louis Sullivan Summer Residence and Stables (1890) - Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Located directly on the Gulf Coast, this house was part of a group of Wright-designed buildings on adjacent lots. Its high-pitched roof is characteristic, not of Louis Sullivan, but of the young Wright whom the "Lieber Meister" had delegated the work. In 1970 a new dining room was added to the east half of the south facade, permanently altering Wright's T plan. There are many other alterations, mostly from restorations in the 1930s, but the woodwork in several rooms remains in fine condition.
Nathan G. Moore Residence and Stable (1895) - Oak Park, Illinois
This Roman brick house, which is intentionally Tudor in character, was built in 1895, then rebuilt above the first floor in 1923 after a 1922 fire. Located directly northly of the Hills residence, which Moore executed for his daughter, it is also across the street from the Heurtley house.
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (1956) - New York, New York
The main gallery of the Guggenheim is a continuous spiralling inclined ramp in concrete. Wright intended this spiral incline to counteract the usual dominance of right-angled architecture over the flat plane of a picture. He also intended visitors to take the elevator to the top of the spiral, then walk down to the ground floor. Overcoming the restrictions of the New York City building code took more time than design and construction, but the original design of 1943, labeld a "ziggurat", is still evident in the final plan. The museum is open daily and Sunday for a small admission charge. This structure has been designated by the American Institute of Architects as one of seventeen American buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright to be retained as an example of his architectural contribution to American culture.
Suntop Homes (1938) - Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Based upon a Broadacre City model, these units have been known as Suntop Homes, Cloverleaf, Quadruple Housing, and The Ardmore Experiment. The original Suntop Homes project was for the United States Government on a tract near Pittsfield, Massachusetts. A change in housing administration and complaints from local architects that they, not an "outsider", should do the project prevented its construction. There were to have been four of these units in Ardmore, built in a row but each angled differently on the sites. Only one was built. The building is divided into quarters, each of two stories plus basement and sunroof, and houses four families. The exterior is of brick and horizontal lapped wood siding; this siding is imitated in the wall now surrounding the structure. Construction was supervised by masterbuilder Harold Turner, whose other efforts include some of Wright's major statements: residence for Hanna Affleck, Armstrong, Christie, Goetsch-Winckler and Rebhuhn. Damage to two of the apartments has caused reconstruction that is not in accord with Wright's plans.
Taliesin Fellowship Complex (1933) - Spring Green, Wisconsin
The Great Depression left Wright with few commissions, but instead of retiring in 1932 at the age of sixty-five, he entered a whole new era of creativity. He founded the Taliesin Fellowship (two of the first apprentices were William Wesley Peters, now a Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation vice-president, and John H. Howe), remodeled the Hillside Home School II including Hillside Playhouse (burned, rebuilt in 1952) for use by the Fellowship, and began work on his concept of a Broadacre City and then the Usonian home. His scheme for a truly American city was realized on a grand scale in models and in a few scattered works - for example, the Affleck house, Suntop Homes, and Lindholm Service Station - but never in the way Wright wanted, in a complete city or in a new concept of American city planning universally applied.
William E. Martin Residence (1902) - Oak Park, Illinois
The plaster and wood trim of this three-story dwelling for W.E. Martin is not too unlike that of the Fricke residence. Yet it is closer to the Prairie ideal, as typified by the Willits Residence, being much clearer in plan. The building had been, for several years, subdivided into three apartments when, in 1945, it was restored to single-family usage.